hulsey naming history
Although the history of the name “Hulsey Yard” is not entirely clear, its origin likely comes from land owned by the family of William Henry Hulsey (1838-1909). W.H. Hulsey served as the 18th Mayor of Atlanta, founded the Atlanta Public School System, served two terms in the Georgia General Assembly and later served as a Fulton County Judge. At the turn of the century railroad workers referenced “Hulsey Junction” (1904, 1911 AJC Archives) as a key landmark along the growing railroad line. In the 1920s a large portion of land owned by L.J. Hulsey (the son of W.H. Hulsey) was sold for railroad-related expansion, giving rise to the names “Hulsey Yard” and “Hulsey Yards”- both of which were used interchangeably for the next century.